Sakura

Trinity In Japan

9.18.2006

Lesson E15

My first day of training!

It went really well. I was a bit nervous at first and a little unsure of myself, BUT I did great! (at least by my standards). We actually had to teach half of a lesson by ourselves today. Oh, and when I say we, I mean everyone in my orientation group, which is ONE other person. Anyway, we both had our own lessons and our own group. There were four people in my group and they were all really great. It was such a neat feeling actually showing them how to pronounce words (we focused on intonation today) and letting them think up examples and questions on their own. I mean, my job is actually really easy. I just read off this paper, throw in some "drills," as NOVA likes to call them, and then sit back and let them talk. It was very exciting and I was so happy with myself after I actually did it. I'm sure I have a lot to learn still but it will be easy enough. Tomorrow I have to teach three whole lessons by myself. Scary.

Anyway, I'm actually tired today, not just too bored to stay awake, so I am going to bed now. Today was rather exciting. I'm continuing to meet really cool people and I learn more and more about Japan and Japanese customs everyday. For instance, taking off ones shoes before going into rooms with thick carpeting, like the one we had our training in today, can get extremely annoying very quickly. Its a good thing my straps were velcro.

4 Comments:

At 9/19/2006 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol you have velcro shoes.. i haven't had those in years...

sounds like you are having a good time... actually sounds kinda fun... and let me know how the hunt for eels is going... i must know if they taste like chicken!

 
At 9/20/2006 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I had a dream about japan last night. My mom decided that Matt and I were going to move there with her for a year. I'm not sure why, and I never did figure out the reason, but she let me know that we were going about 3 hours before we had to leave for the airport and I was freaking out because I had to pack for a year and tie up all those loose ends (like quitting my job, pete, bills, rent, etc) in a matter of a few hours. She had no plans as to what we would do once we got there, where we would live, how we would support ourselves, etc. It was really random. But I'm really sick right now and last night I had a fever of 102.0 so I think that might have contributed to the weird dream. It sounds like things are going well and you are going to like your job- yay! Enjoy the rest of your training!
-Kristin

 
At 9/20/2006 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really happy the training is going well. I'm glad there's only one other person in your orientation group cuz then you two can go through all this stuff together, that has to help a little bit. Also, the whole sunshine, warm tile story makes me feeling like you're warming up to the place ;) Thanks for the shoe story, I love hearing about those little cultural differences. Do you have to take off your shoes whenever you step inside a building, or is it just people's homes? I'm glad we settled the whole America's Next Top Model thing, but, just in case, I have TiVo now too so I can tape it and put it on DVDs for you. The girls and I can work something out. Okay, some Hollywood news: After Tom Cruise got booted from Paramount for being a nutty, Paramount offered Brad Pitt $30 mil to take Tommy's place in the Mission Impossible movies. No word yet on whether he's taken it. Brad and Angelina have stated that they will only get married when the U.S. allows all people who want to be legally wed to have that option. Willie Nelson and his band got busted in their tour bus, 1.5 lbs. of pot and magic mushrooms, they all got misdameanor charges (surprise, surprise). In other more personal news, I am interviewing with a public relations firm on Madison Ave in NYC. Total dream job, I get paid to talk to journalists and get the inside scoop. However, it's not Hollywood P.R. but more corporate P.R. (think Enron and the people who had to make those coniving buisnessmen look innocent to the press, I'm interviewing to be one of those people). It's exciting though, I'll be working for the spokesperson of the New York Stock Exchange and be writing press releases for newspapers like the Wall Street Journal. Second interview is Tuesday and I meet with the CEO so let's keep our fingers crossed. I'll keep you updated. Miss you loads and I hope the food is getting better. Let me know if you want me to send some mac and cheese or something (maybe Mom will make you some puppy chow or some chocolate oatmeal cookies).

 
At 9/22/2006 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taped ANTM (and by "I", i mean Perle), but have yet to watch it. Maybe I'll wait till you get back and we can watch it together (haha,ya right) ok, well maybe :)
p.s.-hey ali, you could send that puppy chow and cookies to me and I'll make sure it gets to Trin ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home