Sakura

Trinity In Japan

5.18.2007

Tea Time!

So, last week I went to a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. It was at a friend of a friend's house just outside of the city. They have a beautiful garden that smelled so good. We actually had to postpone our visit by a week so that we could go when a particular flower was in bloom. They have a room just off the garden that we sat and chatted in. The weather was perfect so they opened up the doors to the outside and it was like we were inside sitting in the garden.


After a bit, they started the ceremony. The absolute worst thing is having to sit on your knees. The Japanese people here who can speak English describe it as "pins and needles," but its more like excruciating numbness that results in dagger sharp pains which causes light headedness and even a bit of nausea. Anyway, apart from that, it was fantastic. The host has to be so meticulous about every movement. There was a right way to hold the ladle and the bowls, a right place to put the lid and the handkerchief, a process to every movement, pouring the water and whisking the tea. The man who performed the ceremony wore traditional pants and kimono top and sat on his knees even longer than we had to. Very impressive. When we finally got to the drinking the tea part, it was delicious. Gone in about 60 seconds but it was good while it lasted. All in all, it was a pretty awesome experience.


As of late, I've been trying to cook Japanese style. I made tempura last week and miso soup. Tonight I made pumpkin soup, which might not be Japanese but I had never eaten pumpkin until I came to Japan so to my mind its Japanese. I'm not sure what next week's experiment will be, if you have any suggestions, let me know. I think I'll just make sushi again, it was good.

Congratulations to James and Deana who graduate this month! I'm so proud of you guys. I wish I were home to celebrate with you! Did you get the cards that I sent next week?

On Sunday, I will be performing a yosakoi dance at a festival in Koriyama. I'm a little nervous but mostly excited. I've never done anything like this before. There will be some people, mostly students, there taking photos so I might have some to post. It goes all day long and we perform four times, once in a parade and three times on stages. Afterward, the dancing team wants us to go to a drinking party with them. I'm not sure if any one realizes what a huge part drinking plays in their culture. They go out drinking all the time, for any and every occasion. Students come in hungover ALL the time. I don't think we could ever get away with this at home. Anyway, this will be a good opportunity to further my sake connoisseuring. Letcha know how that goes.


2 Comments:

At 5/19/2007 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/31/2007 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the photo's of the dancing and Sumo experience.

Love Grandma Busch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home