Sakura

Trinity In Japan

2.26.2007

R U Still There?

Ok, so I know I haven't made a real post for quite a while so here goes...

After Christmas things were pretty quiet. Mostly, I've just been hanging out with friends here and exploring Fukushima's izakaya (bars). We've had a couple of parties with all the NOVA teachers and staff which have been pretty great. One of which was a costume party which I will post about as soon as I get the pictures.

We've had three new teachers come in the last month, all of which are Australian, which means the Americans are now out numbered (there is always a running count for some reason). So far they seem to be enjoying themselves and the rest of us are enjoying taking them out drinking.

I finally went snow boarding. It was fun but a lot of work. I was sore for about a week. There really hasn't been any snow in the city. Only a few centimeters for a day at a time. I'm kind of disappointed but I suppose its also a good thing. I'm pretty sure a meter of snow wouldn't be that nice to bike through. I'm so excited to be experiencing actual seasons. I never realized how much I was missing out on. I do have to say that I miss the beach like whoa. I can't wait till it gets warm enough. The first thing I'm going to do is catch a ride to the beach. I can't believe how much color I've lost. I'm not even white, I'm see through.

Recently I've started going to Yosakoi. The best way I know how to describe Yosakoi is by saying its sort of traditional-ish Japanese interpretive dance. Its pretty fun and really good exercise. Every August different dance groups get together at different festivals and perform their dances. We haven't started learning this years dance yet but have been doing "inner muscle training," which is the best translation we could come up with. Oh right, if you want to talk about lost in translation, try taking a class, on anything, in Japanese. Fortunately, body language goes a surprisingly long way, as do electronic dictionaries. I can't even begin to try to explain what "inner muscle training" is, only that its difficult and frustrating, and there is something about a pole from your head to your coccyx and don't forget to gargle.

As I posted before, I'm moving. Not much to say about that really except that I need a bit of a change and I'll have a bit more space at the new place. And I'm serious about the peanut butter.

I can't believe I've been here nearly 6 months now. Feels like no time at all, although I have to admit some days are longer than others. Thanks so much to all of you who have kept me up to date with your letters and e-mails as well as the occasional IM. I have a wall full of all the pictures you have sent as well as some others from home. I hope everyone is doing well and if you're not then let me know and I will send you some chopsticks and funny picture of engrish.

2 Comments:

At 2/27/2007 12:11 AM, Blogger Rootin' Teuton said...

I can't even begin to try to explain what "inner muscle training" is, only that its difficult and frustrating, and there is something about a pole from your head to your coccyx and don't forget to gargle.

If I had a nickel for every time I've been told that...

 
At 2/27/2007 12:11 PM, Blogger Trinity said...

maybe i should proof read before i post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home