Sakura

Trinity In Japan

5.05.2007

Live Broccoli

The weather is finally warmer. I've put away my winter coat for good now and even some of my sweaters. I've been able to wear shorts and t-shirts outside and have even been hiking in them a few times over the last couple days. Mount Shinobu (the one that looked like dead broccoli a few months ago) is alive again. Last month it was dotted with pink patches of cherry blossom trees and now its a bright fresh green from all the new budding leaves. It smells good and the only down side is number of bugs that woke up with the the sleeping trees. This morning is beautiful. The morning birds and the crows and singing (screeching) and I can see the mountains in the distance semi clearly. I use them now to determine how cloudy it is and how much precipitation is in the air. Last night, hiking up Shinobu, I heard some pretty strange birds (animals) in the trees. Maybe one was a whippoorwill, not sure. As long as they weren't those flying monkeys from the Wizard of OZ I'll be ok. Today I'm doing a special topic class at work about natural disasters. Because of the geography of the city, not many disasters have happened here or even have the possibility of happening. Its a nice change from the storm ridden coasts of home.

My green tea skills are improving. In fact, I'm going to be a guest at a traditional tea ceremony next week. I can't wait, it should be pretty fantastic. The festival that I am dancing in is coming up soon. I think I've got it down pretty well now, its only the matter of stage fright I have to conquer. I've discovered the secret to good sake: mixers. Sake cocktails are far better than trying to down the rubbing alcohol aftertaste. My kitchen is multicultural this week. I made both seven layer dip and sushi rolls. Sushi is surprisingly easy to make and its a fantastic snack or meal, easy to eat and travel to work with.



I went to a Samuri Festival this week in Yonezawa. It was good but because of my work schedule I couldn't go on the day they had the parade and reenactment so it was a bit quiet. The food was still good though.



Just kidding, this is more like it...



YUM


I did get to see (hear) traditional music while I was there though. That was pretty cool.


Thats
all for this week. More events to come soon.


(Sneak preview... SUMO!!)

1 Comments:

At 5/09/2007 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wanna see you sumo wrestle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home